Thursday, January 29, 2009

Stepping Up.....

Last night the ladies from our church began Beth Moore’s study called Stepping Up. It is a study into the Psalms of Ascent (Psalms 120-134). We simply did the introduction last night and wow is what I was left with.


Most of you know that I am recently unemployed and that has been a huge change for my life for many reasons. I have had no luck as of yet finding a job and I keep saying that I am simply waiting on God to show me what is next. Last night I began to think there is something more to this unemployment stage of my life.


So many times over the last many years I have embarked on studies, trying desperately to juggle work, home, kids, chores, church and bible study. Many times finding that my time in the Word takes a backseat to everything else that is going on around me. That’s not the way it is supposed to be at all. I have known that and realized it along the way but couldn’t really find a good balance to do the said study at that time with my whole heart like I should. It has probably caused me to miss out on many things and leaves me looking forward to going through some of those books and studies again to see what I missed out on.


In this study Beth has asked us that for the next 30 days we get on our faces, literally, before God each day. Not just in prayer, but getting right down our faces. This is not something I normally do but it is something I am going to do each day.


In the video presentation last night Beth Moore said this: “Whatever we are going through, we aren’t staying there”! Amen to that. Now while this may make perfect sense to some of you it wasn’t something I had thought of with all that is going on around me. There are so many “things” that are going on right now, so many changes and in reality it can be kind of scary. We tend to get “comfortable” with where we are but on the inside we feel “stuck” and even a little down if we are honest. I don’t want to be stuck or down and that is point of this study to get up.


Something else she said that I found very ironic in our current situation, not just our own within our family but in our country as a whole was this: “In God’s economy the way UP is DOWN”. No matter what our circumstances are either within our homes or for our country as a whole perhaps we do need to get down before we can get up. Not down as in the value of the dollar but down on our faces before God.


Beth painted a beautiful pictures of the stairs leading from the Court of Women in The Temple up to Nicanor Gate of us standing at the bottom of the stairs and God standing there with His hands open waiting for up to STEP UP!


So this morning I got up determined that I was going to do this right. I did get on my face before God this morning and in the quiet of my home I spent some great time in the Word and going through day one of this amazing study. As I worked through today’s lesson it was amazing. One line from today’s lesson states: “Sometimes we don’t know why we’re on a certain road with God until miles have made their way to the soles of our feet”. It’s true I do not know why God has me at this crossroad in my life and maybe, just maybe a few miles need to be put on the soles of my feet in order for me to see what is next. I can’t help but think that maybe I am supposed to be at home right now to give my full attention to this study. God has something for me. I know He does!


So I have begun my journey on the Psalms of Ascent and I am so excited to see where it is going to lead. One step at a time, one day at a time and holding on so tightly to God’s had as I walk. God doesn’t make mistakes but we do, however, one last thing that Beth Moore said in the video last night was something someone had told her: “Remember you’re not good enough to mess God up.” Praise God for that!

No comments: